On 2nd June the Honourable President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee at Uppsala University gave a talk on “Tagore and Gandhi, do they have contemporary relevance for Global peace?”Tweets by @sandheepkumarvb
Some of the to-be noted points from the Public lecture,
- Two reasons why Shri Pranab Mukherjee had spoken on this subject : 1. In respect of, the erection of statue of Rabindranath Tagore in the Department of Foreign languages in Uppsala University, commemorating the centenary of the award of Noble Prize given to him. 2. In respect to Dag Hammarskjold, a well known and Prominent Swede, also the second secretary general of United Nations.
- “Tagore was a renaissance man and such men are found rarely in history. In their personality, they capture not just the times they live in but also many complex questions that transcend geography and are pertinent for all countries and communities across the world. “
- “If Tagore was the intellectual and spiritual torch bearer of global peace, it was the Mahatma or the great soul who showed the world that Satyagraha or Truth force and amiss or Non-violence can be marshalled to create a more just world.”
- “The simultaneous presence of Poet Tagore and mahatma Gandhi is a unique blessing that modern India received and we believe that this good fortune places upon us a special responsibility to involve ourselves actively in the promotion of dialogue amongst different religions, faiths, cultures and civilisations. “
- “I have no hesitation in stating that the ideas of truth, openness, dialogue and non-violence espoused by Tagore and Gandhiji provide the best way forward for a wold confronted with intolerance, bigotry and terrorism.